NMGenWeb Logo, ActiveUSGenWeb Logo, ActiveAn official USGenWeb Project site Dedicated to
Free Information for Home Family Genealogy use only.

Homesteader Stories

Nannie Lee Waggoner

Nannie Lee Waggoner, the daughter of John and Daisey, was born January 31, 1912 in Harrold, Texas. She married John Molar on June 6, 1929, in Ryan, Oklahoma. There were three children born to this marriage. The first was Johnny Lee (May 6, 1935) who was born in Magdelena, Mew Mexico. His first wife was Loreta Webster ( ) at . To this marriage was born Drenda (April 3, 1939) at . His second wife was Joyce Berry ( ) at . To this marriage was born Brian ( ) at . Johnny Lee died March 16, 1963,in Hobbs, New Mexico.

The second child was Janet May (February 13, 1939) who was born at Soccorro, New Mexico. She married David Seaton on To this marriage was born David ( ) at , He married . To this marriage was born Janie ( ) at and Katherine ( ) at Monahans, Texas. Later Janet married Steve Hardy on at .

The third child was Ruby Lee (October 26, 1935) at Pie Town, New Mexico. She married Dennie Perry October 27, 1951 at . To this marriage children were born.

I was born Nannie Lee Waggoner on January 12, 1912. My mother was Daisey Turner Brown and my father was John Luther Wagoner. I was born in Wilbarger County, six miles north of Harrold. The doctor who delivered me was Doctor W. W. Cox.

In 1929 we left Vernon and went to Ryan, Oklahoma. It was there I met and married John Molar in 1929. From there we went on to Dimmitt and then on to live out a claim in Pie Town. We had three children.

It was in Pie Town that we had many wonderful and exciting experiences out in the mountains. We lived many, many miles from a neighbor. We also faced alot of hardships and dangers. One day John came home with a baby coyote that he found wandering around lost. That night the coyotes were all around the house--howling. It frightened me so that I would not go outside. One day a friend came by the house and took the baby coyote out to the edge of the clearing and left it there. The coyotes all went away.

Bud and John worked on county roads and sometimes they didn't come home at night. We kept busy cleaning house and taking care of children. I noticed my silverware was missing and in the drawer would be a piece of cactus or pine cone—something was always in the place of what was taken. I finally decided something was wrong and when there was not enough silver to set the table, my earrings were missing and all my hair pins were gone. Sitting quietly one afternoon, I saw a big rat come gliding along with a cactus burr in his mouth. He ran into the cabinet and I watched him come out with a spoon in his mouth. I watched where he went and recovered all of the missing items by digging into his nest. Later I found out that they would take anything shinney and would leave something in its place.

Everywhere there were chipmonks of all sizes and they were so cute. We all caught the young ones and tamed them for pets. If one was teased though, he would bite. There were lovely tallelled eared squirrels were so pretty, active and yet so very tasty.

During the winter trapping and hunting season, we would have venison, duck and maybe a bear to eat. Bud and John were good hunters.

While living at Pie Town, each family had their own dugout. Bud and John always built a huge corral and a large barn. They rounded up, trapped, and broke wild horses and then they would haul them to where they were to sell them. Our place was across the road from the church-school. Both Bud and John's families lived there.

At our Pipe Springs land grant, Bud, John, Gladys, Charlie, Bertha and I were always scaring the younger children. We would tell them that there were Indians outside. I would get dressed up in a sheet and hide behind a tree. Gladys would bring the kids outside. When I would raise up and scare them, they would run back to the cellar. Charlie said "Open the gate and let us in. The Indians are after us." Little Charles was so scared his little heart was pounding.

During the depression we caught and killed rabbits. We could sell them for 12 a pound. The money we earned was used to buy sugar, flour and coffee. Sometimes we would put a fat hen in the beans to season them. In the winter when we hunted rabbits, we would wrap our legs in tow sacks so the snow wouldn't get in our shoes.

John died and was buried in Tatum, New Mexico. Our son Johnny also died after a lengthy illness. Later I met and married Carl Griffin.

John and I lived in New Mexico for many years—in our memories and thoughts more than in fact. Later we moved to Tatum and there we raised our family and it is I now live.

From Top Left:
1) Mrs Molar, Lee, Ruby and Johnny at "Old Horse Springs"
2) Nannie Lee and Janet in Pie Town
3) Nannie Lee and Johnny in Pie Town
4) John and Nannie Lee
5) John, Nannie Lee and Johnny Molar in Horse Springs, NM
6) John Molar
7) John, Nannie Lee, Janet and Johnny in Horse Springs, NM
8) Janet, Nannie Lee, John and Elsie in Horse Springs

Row Two:
9) Faye Edmonson Waggoner, John, Nannie Lee, Snooks Whinnery and Bud
10) Elsie, Janet, Nannie Lee and John at Horse Springs
11) Elsie and friend
12) Faye Waggoner, John and Nannie Lee
13) Hauling water in Pie Town
14) Different families on a bush party in Pie Town
15) Nannie Lee and Carl Griffin were married June 6, 1959. Carl was born August 6, 1915 at Watts, Arkansas